A tour through 9000 years of history under Place Saint Lambert
The Notger cathedral
The powerful Bishop Notger (972-1008) had a new cathedral erected, standing again on the place where Saint Lambert was murdered, He put the relics of the saint in the western crypt of this huge edifice (nearly 100 m long). Notger was also the one who erected the parish church of Notre-Dame-aux-Fonts (Our Lady of the Fountains) south of the cathedral, which became the main baptistery for the city. From the 12th century, up to the Revolution, it housed the famous baptismal fonts that are now on exhibit in the Saint Barthélemy Church.
The Notger cathedral was refurbished in Romanesque style during the 12th century, but was severely damaged by the fire that ravaged the centre of Liege in 1185.